Whole Foods Market will open it’s doors to the public on Wednesday, November 16, 2016. I was fortunate to get a sneak peak of what’s to come. Employees were busy stocking shelves, setting up displays and getting trained.
I’ve only been to Whole Foods once while I was visiting Overland Park, KS, so I was looking forward to seeing what we would be getting in Shrossier. In particular, I was interested in what Whole Foods would do for us. I found out that the commitment to our community is absolutely phenomenal.
Whole Foods Shreveport-Bossier has hired 141 local people and only brought in six from other regions for training purposes. Local artist Ann Gassen has been hired as “The Chalk Designer” to decorate all of the signs around the store. They currently have approximately 50 local vendors, with more in the process. The store has used reclaimed wood throughout the building, most notable is the “Joskes wood” on the walls and soffits, reclaimed from a San Antonio department store built in 1888 called Joskes. That wood originally came from forests around my hometown of Lake Charles, LA in Calcasieu Parish. Electric vehicle charging stations, a bike rack to support the cycling community and energy efficiency throughout the store.
In addition, Whole Foods Market Shreveport will host five community giving days over the next five weeks as part of their commitment to supporting the local community, and to celebrate the opening of their first Shreveport store. One percent of net sales on designated community giving days will benefit the following Shreveport-Bossier area nonprofit organizations: Community Renewal International, The Fuller Center for Housing, Food Bank of Northwest Louisiana, Shreveport Green, and The Gingerbread House.
Now, about those services! There are so many fabulous services that are provided in the Shreveport store. Too many to list here, so here are the services that I found of value:
- The butchers will custom cut, season, steam, fillet or portion your order for FREE just by asking!
- Full-service seafood shop with experienced Fishmongers ready to help prepare your fish any way you would like it. They fillet, butterfly, debone whole fish, peel and devein shrimp, season, and grill or steam your fish for FREE! In store Seafood Smokehouse with custom smoking available.
- Have a favorite? They will special order any item by the case with a 10% case discount
- Free ice to protect your items on the ride home
- Want to taste fruits or veggies before you buy them? Just ask and they will cut them right there for ya.
- 500 wines in-house! Get 10% discount when you purchase wine by the case.
- Expanded grass-fed dairy options including milk, butter, and yogurt and over 2,600 Non-GMO and Organic items!
A floral area that will include more than 40 cut flowers, potted plants and arrangements in addition to seasonal items such as Christmas trees. For each tree sold, Whole Foods will replant a tree through American Forests.
- 2000 items on sale every week and an extensive line of 365 Everyday Value® products
- Louisiana proud! They feature a great selection of Louisiana products. (See list below)
LOUISIANA PROUD VENDORS IN THE SHREVEPORT WHOLE FOODS:
In addition to this list, there are several vendors in the process of finalizing paperwork, so there will be more to come. If you have a product that you’d like to get into Whole Foods, you may submit at Rangeme.com/wholefoods
Bee Hippie (uses Hummer and Son beeswax)
Big Easy Bucha
Café du Monde
Cake Face Soaping
Chafunkta Brewing Co.
Dirty Potato Chips
Doodley Dee’s Farm
Edwardo’s Secret Salsa
Flying Heart Brewing
French Truck (beans and cold brew)
Great Raft Brewing
Gulf Coast seafood
Hummer and Son (packaged and in bulk)
Inglewood Farm Pecan Oil
Kinloch Plantation Pecan Oil
Louisiana Brand Hot Sauce
New Orleans Brewing Company
Nuccio’s Olive Salad
Red River Brewery
Reve (coffee beans)
Rhino Coffee (beans and cold brew)
River Road Coffee
Taylormade Kale Chips
Three Brothers Farm Cane Syrup and Cane Sugar
Tin Roof Brewing Co.
Whole Foods Shreveport Photo Gallery:
There will be a sneak peak on Monday, November 14 from 4-7 pm. Find info on their Facebook Event. Also, if you are interested in attending the Bread Breaking Ceremony (ribbon cutting), it will be held at 7:30 am on Wednesday, November 16, 2016. The first 200 people who arrive for the grand opening ceremony will receive a Whole Foods Market gift card with a mystery amount up to $100.00.
Follow Whole Foods Shreveport-Bossier:
In terms of community, I believe Whole Foods will do lots for us.
That Just Happened!!
Marketing Maven, Holiday Lanes